19 April 2012

NLL Crystal Ball: Week 16

I went 2-2 last week, which brings me to 35-28 on the season. I've never really appreciated how bad some of the announcers are for lacrosse, because normally I watch several games at a time with Livestream and I have them all on mute. More on that after the break, as well as my picks and favourites to win the cup.

Because the NLL was so keen to get people to subscribe to CBS Sportsnet to watch the games, they waited until the game was already started to mention that we could listen to it on NLL Radio. I don't know if they normally stream audio only for games that are televised, but it's not an experience I want to repeat. It was annoying because I wasted quite a bit of time trying to find a pub to show the game, and then I had to listen to an atrocity, and I don't just mean the way the Rock played. The announcers were awful, but maybe I have unrealistically high expectations for sports play-by-play based on years of listening to Tom Cheek and Jerry Howarth do Jays games. The final nail in the coffin for the broadcast - the feed died for a good half an hour. I know it was just the Mammoth-Rock game, because Livestream was working fine for the other games.

Speaking of the other games, there are two certainties in the National Lacrosse League. Geoff Snider and Brandon Francis will go out and try to hurt someone, and I mean really hurt someone, in garbage time of losing efforts. Full contact sports carry a risk that one could get injured in the course of play, everyone who plays accepts that (wholeheartedly), but what no one should have to accept are deliberate attempts to injure. I don't think any professional sport has really got this under control, but the NLL is especially bad.

Based on their history of this behaviour, Snider and Francis should be looking at escalating suspensions each time they do something stupid. Also, Francis never seems to do anything without direct instructions from the bench, so Kilgour should be looking at increasing fines for every Francis incident. Deliberate attempts to injure have no place in society, and sports should be no exception.

This Week's Picks
  1. Edmonton at Colorado
    1. I see Grant tying Tavares' single season record in this game as the Mammoth easily beat the Rush.
  2. Toronto at Washington
    1. The Rock need the win for a home playoff game; the Stealth need the win to even make the playoffs. I'm going with a Rock win.
  3. Rochester at Buffalo
    1. In a game to decide the head-to-head tiebreaker, I'm going with the youthful exuberance of the Knighthawks.
  4. Philadelphia at Minnesota
    1. The Swarm have looked good lately, and the Wings have not. I'm going with another Swarm win, although I have a strong temptation to pick the Wings.
  5. Calgary at Edmonton
    1. Second game in a weekend logic would dictate I pick the Rush, but how can I pick against the Roughnecks? They own the Rush, and they're going to be keen to improve on last week's performance.
Favourites to Win the Cup
  1. (2) Colorado (would beat Edmonton, Calgary and Philadelphia)
    1. Control their own destiny for first overall.
  2. (1) Calgary (would beat Minnesota and lose to Colorado)
    1. I'm still tempted to believe that the Championship is theirs to lose.
  3. (4) Philadelphia (would beat Buffalo and Toronto before losing to Colorado)
    1. There is nothing impressive about the East this season, and Philadelphia could still finish 4th.
  4. (3) Toronto (would beat Rochester and lose to Philadelphia)
    1. Funny how confidence can disappear for 2.5 hours.
  5. (5) Minnesota (would lose to Calgary)
    1. They've guaranteed a playoff spot, which is better than anyone expected.
  6. (7) Rochester (would lose to Toronto)
    1. They didn't have to mount a comeback, so the jury's still out on their ability to do it.
  7. (8) Edmonton (would lose to Colorado)
    1. Whether they make the playoffs is in their own hands, but the schedule-maker hasn't done them any favours.
  8. (6) Buffalo (would lose to Philadelphia)
    1. If Buffalo's evaluation of their chances of winning this season involved trying to persuade Tavares to go to a contender, who am I to disagree that they don't have much hope?
  9. (9) Washington (not in playoff picture)
    1. They could still sneak into the playoffs at the expense of Buffalo or Edmonton, and that's gotta be a little bit demoralizing for both those teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment